This is unpublished

As a University of Washington Genetic Counseling Graduate Program (UW GCGP) student, you have access to a vast amount of UW services and resources. Take advantage of all the UW has to offer!

GCGP Resources

GCGP Student Handbook

Please refer to the Student Handbook during your time at the GCGP for important information about courses, policies, and more.

UW LEND Program

If you're interested in supporting individuals with developmental disabilities to achieve their full potential, apply to be a LEND: Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities trainee during your first year. A stipend is included. Available only to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

getting started

The GCGP is a fee-based degree program managed by the GCGP administration and UW Continuum College/UW Professional & Continuing Education (UWPCE).

As a student in a fee-based degree program, you’ll register for courses via the MyUW portal, and you can also pay your course and other fees using MyUW or by mail. Fees are due by the third Friday of the quarter.

Note: All emails about registration and payments will be sent to your UW email address.

Time Schedule

GCGP courses are listed in the UWPCE Time Schedule by quarters. It is updated daily and is subject to change.

Husky Card & Medical Center Badge

The Husky Card is your official ID card and provides access to UW services, campus libraries, and some of the buildings where your courses are held. You can get your Husky Card on your own during the summer, but please email Tyler Hearing prior to starting at the GCGP for help securing your Medical Center badge.

Graduate School

The Graduate School has numerous resources to help you get the most out of your UW experience. We recommend taking the U501: Graduate School Orientation online course before attending the GCGP, and also reviewing important dates and deadlines, graduation requirements, and the Student Advice Knowledge Base.


Utilize the GCGP Student Network!

Many entering GCGP students find housing through other GCGP students. The summer before you start at the GCGP, you will be matched with a second-year student buddy. Chatting with your buddy, and then networking with other students, is a helpful way to get tips on finding good housing options.

Graduate Student Housing

We recommend making your commute to the UW as easy as possible. One option is graduate student housing that's a quick walk or bike ride to the GCGP. There are also campus dining options to save you time as well.

Low-Income Housing

The Seattle Housing Authority (SHA) owns and operates more than 8,000 affordable apartments and single-family homes at nearly 400 sites. If you think you might qualify, view their eligibility requirements.

SHA also partners with various agencies and property owners to provide low-income housing through the Housing Choice Voucher Project-Based, Mod-Rehab and Low-Income Public Housing programs. For example, Bellwether Housing has several buildings that allow household members to be full-time students.

International Students

International Student Services (ISS)

If you're an international student, you'll want to get to know the advisers and services at ISS and understand what you need to do before arriving at the UW. The pre-arrival checklist and post-arrival checklist can be especially helpful.


CIRCLE is the Center for International Relations & Cultural Leadership Exchange at the UW. Check them out for all kinds of webinars and in-person events throughout the school year that welcome and support international students. They also offer one-to-one student success and well-being coaching sessions.

Financial Aid

Fill out the FAFSA

Use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid for graduate school. Many universities set priority deadlines by which you must submit the FAFSA form. Go here to find out UW's priority filing date.

Consider the WASFA

The Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) is for people who don’t file a FAFSA. If you've completed the FAFSA, you've already applied for federal and state financial aid and do not need to complete the WASFA unless the UW asks you to. Consider the WASFA if you are undocumented or do not qualify for federal financial aid because of your immigration status.

Financial Aid Information for Fee-Based Programs

The UW offers both state supported and fee-based degree programs. The GCGP is fee-based. When communicating with the Office of Student Financial Aid, identify yourself as a student enrolled in a fee-based program.

What if I'm an international student? Can I get financial aid?

If you're an international student, funding is severely limited but here are some resources to consider.

Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS)

The GFIS helps current and admitted UW graduate students learn skills and tools to find funding for graduate school-related expenses. Contact GFIS to schedule individual appointments or request information by email.

Getting Around


The U-PASS is a bus pass plus more! Included as part of your course fees, and loaded right onto your Husky Card, the U-PASS gives you unlimited rides on buses, commuter trains, light rail, Seattle streetcar, Seattle monorail, water taxis, campus shuttles, UW NightRide Shuttle, and more! You can also get discounts at MANY businesses.

Getting to Campus

Learn about all the different ways for getting to campus.


Learn about the UW parking options available to you.

Campus Maps

Use this online map to find any building at the UW.

Husky NightWalk

Call Husky NightWalk at 206-685-9255 (WALK) to receive a safe, escorted walk at night with a uniformed security guard to locations at the UW or the University District. Guards also assist with office lockouts (UW ID required) and can jump start dead car batteries.

Need Accommodations?

Disability Resources for Students (DRS)

Please consider whether you need any accommodations and/or auxiliary aids due to a disability (learning, mental, physical, etc.) or temporary health condition. Because it can take 1-5 weeks, sometimes longer, to receive and implement accommodations, we recommend completing an application with DRS as soon as possible.

Religious Accommodations

Please consider whether you need accommodations in regards to religious holidays or organized religious activities. To request accommodations, apply online before the quarter in which you need accommodations or at least by the first week of that quarter. See the Academic Calendar for specific deadlines.

If you have any questions about either of these types of accommodations, please email Peg Cheng.

Your Health

Centralized Wellness Website

This portal for UW is a great place to learn about health and wellness resources and services available to you as an enrolled UW student.

Hall Health Center

Hall Health offers a wide range of medical services in person, by phone, and via telemedicine. Some services, but not all, are prepaid for students through the UW Services & Activities Fee. When you are enrolled and registered for classes, you can have:

  • Unlimited medical advice from a nurse by phone or telemedicine
  • One visit per quarter with a medical provider for an injury or illness or for a pre-travel consultation.

Note: International students with a J1 or F1 visa are automatically enrolled in ISHIP: International Student Health Insurance Program. If you're already covered by another health insurance plan, you can apply for a waiver. Students must submit the ISHIP Waiver Request by 1 PM of the tuition deadline – the third Friday of the quarter.

Counseling Center

The UW Counseling Center helps currently enrolled students with depression, anxiety, relationship concerns, and other mental health challenges. If you're dealing with any of these issues, please contact the Counseling Center to set up an appointment. They also offer therapeutic groups and group therapy.

Let’s Talk

Let’s Talk is a program that connects UW students with support from experienced mental health counselors from the Counseling Center without an appointment. Let’s Talk offers informal consultation – it is not a substitute for regular therapy, counseling or psychiatric care.

Husky Helpline

We all have moments when things get hard, frustrating, or overwhelming, and we need to talk to someone. You are never alone. Husky Helpline gives UW students access to real-time, confidential mental health and crisis intervention support 24/7 and in multiple languages. Call 206-616-7777 or chat with a counselor on the Telus website or on the Telus app (Apple App Store | Google Play).

Dental Teaching Clinic

Need to see a dentist but don't have insurance? Consider going to the UW Predoctoral Dental Teaching Clinic. Dental students are supervised by licensed faculty dentists and deliver a wide range of dental care including exams, cleanings, fillings, bleaching, mouth guards, cosmetic treatments, repairing chipped or fractured teeth, root canals, crowns, implants, dentures, and more.

Intramural Activities (IMA)

Take advantage of the Intramural Activities (IMA) Building, UW’s premier fitness center! The IMA includes access to gyms, courts, indoor track, pool, climbing center, cardio and weight rooms, and many exercise classes. As a currently enrolled UW Seattle student, the IMA membership fee is included in your tuition/course fees.

Safety Resources

If your safety is at risk, you are witnessing violence, or perceive imminent harm to yourself or others, call 911.


If you are experiencing sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, and/or relationship violence, call SafeCampus at 206-685-7233. Trained professionals in violence prevention and response, threat assessment, and crisis response are available to answer your call Monday-Friday from 8 AM - 5 PM. SafeCampus will listen to your concerns, connect you with resources, and manage the ongoing threat or concerns if needed. 

Confidential Advocates

UW offers free and confidential advocacy and support for students and employees impacted by sexual assault, relationship violence, domestic violence, stalking, sexual harassment, and other related experiences. Schedule a meeting through their website or email

Campus Safety & Emergency Resources

UW is dedicated to a safe learning, teaching, research, and visitor environment. Click on the link above to learn more about UW's safety and emergency resources.

Career Services


Career & Internship Center

The Career & Internship Center supports the diverse career paths of UW students through job and internship postings at Handshake, opportunities and events to connect with alumni and employers, career coaching appointments, and more.

Husky Career Closet

Interviewing soon? Need a workplace outfit for an internship or job? Visit the Husky Career Closet stocked with free, gently-used, workplace attire. Students can select one complete outfit (clothing items plus accessories). Changing room space is available.

more UW Resources

Graduate Student Equity & Excellence (GSEE)

If you identify as BIPOC: Black, Indigenous, Person of Color, or are from a historically oppressed or underrepresented group, we recommend you connect with GSEE and take advantage of their programs, fellowships, and resources for graduate students.

Veterans Education Benefits

The Veterans Education Benefits Office supports current and former service members and their dependents during their time as UW students.

UW Libraries

Our amazing library system (and librarians) is one of the best benefits of being a student at the UW.

University Book Store

The UW’s official bookstore since 1900! It's a great place for finding books, office and art supplies, planners, gifts, and Husky gear. They also host a variety of author readings, lectures, and events.

Student Technology Loan Program (STLP)

The STLP is a free, student-led program that supports the academic technology needs of UW Seattle students by providing loans of computers, cameras, and more. Make equipment reservations online.

UW IT Resources

Contact UW IT when you need help with technology issues such as your UW NetID, software downloads, connecting to to the UW network, and more.

More Student Services

Student Activities

Want to meet UW students with similar interests? Thinking about joining a club? Interested in student government? Visit Student Activities where you can find hundreds of registered student organizations (RSOs), learn about ASUW opportunities, and more.

Q Center

The Q Center facilitates and enhances a brave, affirming, liberatory, and celebratory environment for students, faculty, staff, and alumni of all sexual and gender orientations, identities, and expressions.

Women's Center

The Alene Moris Women’s Center is a catalyst for change, and believes women’s rights are human rights. Programs and services are open to all students, staff, faculty, and community members.

Childcare Assistance Program 

The Childcare Assistance Program assists Seattle Campus students in covering the costs of licensed childcare for their children (ages birth – 12 years old) while enrolled in an eligible program of study.

Student Legal Services (SLS)

SLS provides a safe and confidential space for all UW-Seattle and UW-Bothell students who have legal questions or concerns. They offer free 40-minute consultations on a broad range of issues.

Food Pantry

The Food Pantry provides food to UW students, staff, and faculty who are experiencing food insecurity due to a short-term disruption in finances, lack of access to other financial assistance, etc. If you're making a choice between buying healthy food and other pressing priorities, please consider visiting the Food Pantry.


We're here to help. Email Tyler Hearing or stop by Tyler's office in IHDD South 119.